Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Reflections


I love itajime for its bare geometric simplicity. I clamped simple shapes on a fold of cotton hemp. Some of the color penetrated the fold to make a line between the mirror images. I've signed up for Jude's What if Diaries and will hope to use these for stitching in her class. 

I think itajime is best suited for one dark color. I'm not a big fan of technicolor itajime. If you're looking for a monochromatic scheme, use a pure dye, not a mixture. That way, you won't get funky colors or halos. For this half yard, I used ProChem's Deep Navy 414 at about a 6% depth of shade. I used a tub dye method.

2 comments:

Colleen Kole said...

I love deep navy. These are beautiful and I look forward to what you will use them for in Jude's class.

JacksonFabricArts said...

Thanks Colleen. Yes, I recommend this dye. I've always used ProChem's Navy 412 up until now, but I think I like this one better. It does have a greenish cast to it, but most of the navies do. If you are looking to mix a dark brown, this navy mixed with orange works very well.