Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Earthen hues


I've been working on mixing some pure dyes to get get more muted hues.  You will find that when mixing primaries or pure dyes, the more colors you mix together, the less intense color you'll achieve. I am looking to create a palette of earthen hues that remind me of the desert.  I think I am getting close with these. I will adjust the depth of shade so they are lighter in value, but I like the hues. Bark, rust, earth and sage from left to right.  I'd like to add one more hue to add to the mix, I'll work on that today.  Maybe a more reddish earth tone would complement these nicely.

3 comments:

sandySTC said...

I can't even tell you how much I love these colors. :)

sandySTC said...

You are definitely the expert here, but a yellow ochre would be gorgeous here, too.

JacksonFabricArts said...

YES! A mustardy yellow is definitely on my to do. Recently I ran some new recipes in trying to match a swatch for a custom project and hit on a fantastic terracotta. I love it when I stumble upon great colors by accident!