Thursday, May 3, 2012

Painting Floss

 I'm trying out something new this week....hand dyeing embroidery floss to complement my palettes.  Here's my first shot -- my newest Tundra palette.  I used a thick print paste, but this would work equally well if you wanted to "tub dye" these in small containers. They work really well with the cotton/hemp fabrics I dyed earlier.

Just as with fabric, you'll need to test your floss to make sure it is colorfast. Wet the floss, place it between two layers of white cloth, and iron it on a cotton setting. Any trace of color means you need to soak the floss again. I know many fiber art and embroidery pieces aren't going to be washed, but I won't know in advance what a client will use this floss for, so it's always best to err on the safe side.

I'll be listing these flosses soon, as soon as I'm certain they are colorfast.

No comments: