Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Into a Shibori Phase

I'm a person of "phases".  I see folks who plan out their creative endeavors like clockwork. They have it timed to have the greatest commercial impact. It's organized and scheduled. Although I am very precision oriented when it comes to the process of dyeing, I find it difficult to keep a schedule and set a goal and stick to it.  I drift from phase to phase.  Not necessarily a bad thing, just not the ideal mode for someone trying to make a living!

Right now, I'm back in a shibori phase. I'm exploring ways to integrate stitched patterning with pole patterning. There's something about the contrast between the precise stitched areas against the "wild" unrestrained patterns achieved through pole wrapping that I really enjoy. Here are just a few examples of what I've been working on lately.




The fabric used makes a big difference too. I really like a hemp/silk blend and a 100% hemp linen for both pole and stitched shibori. It is easy to stich and I am able to get good contrast with it.  You can see in the 2nd and 3rd pieces above that one side is lighter than the other. This is a result of folding the fabric down the middle before stitching and binding. The layer closest to the pole will always be a little lighter if you fold before stitching.

No comments: