Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Design & Hue

Yesterday I was noodling around with new motifs and patterns.

Here's what I came up with -- a pattern as yet unnamed.  I started with some fabric I had previously dyed in a pale cerulean blue. I waxed the fabric with the new pattern and overdyed it in a royal blue. This pattern waxes the positive space, with the unwaxed areas comprising the negative space. It can be difficult to imagine ahead of time how this type of pattern will realize on cloth.

I can see a lot of potential for this motif. When I come up with a new pattern, my first thoughts always turn to color. I try and imagine what hues would work for the pattern. Since dyes are transparent and mix like light, overydyeing is something that has to be thought through carefully.

Yesterday I waxed this pattern on white silk hemp and dyed it in royal blue and the effect is beautiful. I think this pattern would also look stunning in black and white on silk hemp. I can also see this working well with a pale tan background and a darker siena brown for the patterning.  Also yellow & red might work too. More later!

1 comment:

jude said...

a really nice pattern