Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Stitchin' Hearts

Stitched shibori is all about symmetry. Here's a heart I stitched recently. You can still see the crease where I folded the fabric before I stitched it.

I'm not sure how I got this color. A splash of lime green, a jigger of golden yellow....It looked nothing like this when it was in the dyebath. The final hue was only revealed after several washes in hot water.

I pulled out my Benjamin Moore fan deck and the closest match is Yolk #2023-10.

I decided to stitch the hearts close together so they are linked together, like parent to parent and parent to son and parent to daughter and son to daughter. Irrevocable bonds that can never be broken by adversity or ill-fortune. Links that bind and hold with love and patience. Life-long, love-long connections.

3 comments:

Colleen Kole said...

This is really pretty. And I loved the earlier hemp fabric. It has a definitive look to it.

JacksonFabricArts said...

thanks Colleen. this cotton hemp blend is very linen like. it works extremely well with stitched shibori. every fabric is different and works differently with different techniques.

jude said...

ha great!