Thursday, April 28, 2011

Garden Surprises

When I don't have my hands in a dyebath, I have them wrist deep in dirt in my garden.

This is a clump of Verbascum I started from seed last spring. They didn't do much last year, but this year is another story. They are stunning.

I bought the seed from Thompson & Morgan and started them in small pots in early spring. I had a few blooms last summer, but as with most perennials, they really came in their own this, their second year.

I've read that these are not true perennials, but biennials, so I'll start some more this year, just to be on the safe side.

The chartreuse leaves on the right are Agastache Golden Jubilee. They will flower in summer through fall, with purple spikes providing a complement to the yellowy green leaves. 

 
We can't grow delphiniums here in Virginia; it gets  hot too early. These verbascum are a pretty good substitute though for a tall spiky plant with airy, delicate blossoms.

2 comments:

Jill Luigs said...

soooo beautiful -- You are an amazing artist with nature and with fabric!!

JacksonFabricArts said...

Jill, thanks for the kind words! Honestly, these verbascum were very easy to start. Some perennials are very finicky, but there are a handful that I have started year after year with great success: salvias, agastache, rudbeckia, veronica, to name a few. Most of them reseed themselves too, so you really get a lot of plants from a small cash investment!