Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Artemis -- a nod to the Greek key

This article in House Beautiful got me thinking about greek key motifs.  Greek keys are classic, yet blend seamlessly into a contemporary interior. They are intricate yet unfussy. They lend themselves to a wide range of colorways and fabrics. Sized up or down, greek key motifs can be used on curtains, upholstery, cushions and accessories.

I wanted to create batik fabric with a greek key theme, but didn't want borders of interconnected keys. I wanted to be able to place my motifs individually and change their direction if I wanted to.

Here's what I came up with. A simple greek key with two turns. To add interest and movement to my fabric, I rotate the key by 90 degrees as I place the motif along the width of the fabric. This means that the pattern changes on both the lengthwise and horizontal grain. I like that!

I've named this new pattern Artemis. So far, I've created it in navy blue and red.

The motifs are approximately three inches square.

If you're interested in creating your own greek key design, check out this terrific website:
http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/greekkey/index.htm

You can generate your own greek key design to use on fabric or a craft of your choosing.

Thanks for reading and look for more colorways of Artemis soon.

3 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

Interesting, informative blog...glan I signed up

lylian.mae said...

Have you been to style.com and watched the Versace Spring 2011 fashion show? She is all about the greek key this year.

JacksonFabricArts said...

WOW, what a great collection of art disguised as clothing. All of it looks really wearable too!